Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What is a "cool" teacher?

About a week ago, I had a student come up to me and say "Mr. Franzowiak, you're a cool teacher." I was very delighted by this compliment and gracefully said "thank you." Over the past couple of days, I've been thinking about what really defines a "cool teacher." Is it the fact that I am a younger, college aged student-teacher? The fact that I am a little more laid back than other teachers? The fact that I do enjoy using technology? I don't feel that I am doing anything different than any other teacher. I look around at the teachers in Maplewood and see many teachers in my eyes who I define as "cool." They aren't the youngest or use the latest technology, but understand the true meaning of what it takes to be an effective educator and are willing to go above and beyond what is expected of them. I can't really define what it means to be a "cool" teacher. I'm just a regular student-teacher trying to improve my skill set and try to take in as much knowledge and advice as possible from established teachers.

As the semester continues, I hope the student's opinions about me don't change. I hope that students can realize that there are many other "cool" teachers in the building who have many more years of experience are just as "cool" as I am.

1 comment:

  1. If you have read this blog or noticed a different Profile Picture of me, mention the words "cool" or "suspender picture" to earn Jaybucks!

    ReplyDelete